Monday, September 6, 2010

New Haven Road Race 20k - Race Report

Hello Week 8!

Today was the New Haven Road Race 20k. I had no idea how today would go since I ran 18 just two days ago and the last few days allergy-wise have been miserable. I figured I wanted to be around 8:00-8:24 per mile. Woke up around 6am - had some breakfast, got myself ready and walked to the green (~1.5 miles). Once I got there I to my number pinned to my shirt and the D-tag on to my Kinvaras. Chatted a bit with some Milford Road Runners at our tent - then off for a quick warm-up and potty stop. Once I got through the bathroom line - I had only a few minutes to get to the start.

I lined up a ways back and shortly after I got settled in a spot - the gun went off. I took it easy for the first 1/2 mile (I really had to as it was very busy). After the crowd cleared a bit I found a comfortable pace and tried to just sit on it. Just around mile four I noticed my good friend Chuck a few steps ahead of me. From that point on we ran the race together. He said he wanted to run 8s even - but that didn't happen. We seemed to alternate each mile which of us would push the other along. At a water stop at mile 10.5 or so he decided to take a breather and drink his drink instead of spilling it all and he waved me on. As I made the final turn down Whitney I saw my wife and son in the crowd. I made a quick detour to give my son a kiss - then back to the course I went. Once back on the course I started looking for Chuck again - seeing he was only 20 feet or so behind me I held up until he caught up to me. We finished together which was great.

Overall I felt great - esp coming off the 18 miler. I figured I could have picked up the pace a little overall but running with a friend today and having fun was what it was about.

Garmin Times
8:02
7;49
7:49
7:39
7:50
7:43
7:38
7:56
7:40
8:06
7:51
7:36
3:31 (for .49 miles @ 7:14 pace)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47842084

No comments: