Sunday, May 9, 2010

Live Well 5K Run/Walk Race Report

Today was the Live Well 5k in Milford. My goals going into the race were a) finish under 21 minutes and b) even pacing. Cooler day today than it has been, which was great - but the wind was pretty brutal. Did a two mile warmup with Matt S. Felt good - legs still felt asleep.

First mile - As we went off, I tried to find the 6:45 pace that I was aiming for. The pack cleared about a 1/4 mile in and I was running in a small pack. At about a half mile in I looked down at my Garmin and saw I was (at that exact moment) at a 6:10 pace and was on track to finish around 6:30. I was slowly starting to seperate from the small pack, and began passing a few people. Mile one in at 6:21 - so a bit too fast. I knew I couldn't keep up that pace so I pulled back just a little.

Second Mile - As the course turned back on itself, I could see the leaders and recognized Matt S. as the leader (who went on to the win the race). Slowly still passing people at this point and trying to hold my pace. During this mile I got into my zone - no thinking zone - just run. Second mile in at 6:31 - still on the fast side but I was holding together.

Third Mile - During this mile, the wind started to gust into our faces. I saw Dan L. about 10-15 feet in front of me - but no matter what I tried I could not catch him. Pace slipped - wind not totally to blame, but it didn't help. Right before the third mile marker I was passed by two people that seemed to be having their own race between them - I let them go race it out.

Last .1 - As I turned into the parking lot, I caught a glimpse of the clock and saw that I was on target for a new PR. That gave me a bit of a lift and was able to finish strong.

Finished under 21 minutes - which was the main goal. Pacing could use a little work....


Splits from Garmin
6:21
6:31
6:51
0:46 (for .1 mile @ 6:21 pace)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32711691

No comments: