Saturday, June 12, 2010

LONG slow day - (did I mention long?)

In looking over my long runs for the year, I realized I haven't had a nice and long run in a while. With the Fairfield Half Marathon coming up I only had this weekend to get one in.

I made plans with Mike (from MRR) to meet up at the normal Saturday at 6am (instead of the normal 8:30am). Since a 6am start in Milford meant a 4am wakeup - I got myself ready Friday night - (kind of had a race feel to it). Waking up that early was surprisingly easy - no I do not plan to make a habit out of this.

Mike and I headed out for a two looper of the 10k(ish) route (Mike found a way to add another mile to it). First loop was great - nice slow pace (which seemed to make the hills more challenging). We added the extra mile to the first loop while we were fresh - we headed back to the parking lot to rehydrate (and use the facilities). I also had a couple shot bloks and pretzels to prep myself for the second loop. Second loop we kept it to the normal 10k(ish) route. Another good loop and we timed it just right where when we got back from the parking lot. Once we got there I decided to head out again - figuring at any moment I could just turn around and head back. I hung for a short amount of time with the (fresh) 8:30 crowd before they pulled away, and once Keith (who showed up late) caught me and passed me that was enough for me. I turned around and headed back. After getting some quick directions back to the park from Dan (who was walking the course with his dog) - I was able to add another mile or so. When I saw my mileage read 17.5 on the Garmin I felt that was enough and walked back the last 1/3 mile or so. After I got back I started the hydration and eating process. More pretzels and tried out Gu Electrolyte Brew (lemon lime) which hit the spot. I walked around a bit - then hopped in the car and headed home (quick stop at McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin and a diet soda too). So glad I didnt attempt a full loop on the third time around - a twenty miler would have completely done me in.

Overall a great run - glad I could join Mike in his run today.

Total distance: 17.5 miles
Total time: 2:53:31
Average pace: 9:54

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36561733

1 comment:

SM said...

Nice run! Did you like the shot blocks?