Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mid week long (hilly) run to Hamden and back

To cram in some last minute preparation for the Fairfield Half Marathon, and since I have a race this weekend too (Branford Road Race - 5 miler) - I wanted to get my mid week long run done today as opposed to later in the week. I planned on doing my seven mile route up through East Rock, to Ridge Rd, Skiff Rd, to Whitney and home. But I did the "Leah Loop"* first which added a mile that I didn't take into account.

First mile felt good as I fell into a nice breathing rhythm - didn't even look at my Garmin (still needs a name) until well into the second mile as I was climbing the East Rock hill. After I came up over the hill, I worked on settling in again to a nice pace/rhythm. Started singing to myself, which I find I do a lot on runs (today was Soundgarden), to help find that rhythm. I realized my error in mileage right around when the Garmin beeped the 5th mile and I was just turning onto Whitney Ave. Heading down Whitney - I lost my shade (that I had on Ridge) - and it started to get warm (and sweaty). As soon as I got back to East Rock park my watch beeped 8 miles - so I walked the last little bit home as a cool down.

No heart rate numbers today - my HR Monitor decided to walk off on me some where in my apartment.

Total distance: 8 miles
Total time: 1:07:41
Average pace: 8:27

Splits
8:26
8:45
8:36
8:25
8:17
8:26
8:24
8:19

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36986786



*Leah Loop - One mile loop that goes from my house, passed Doc Leah's to Edwards and up Whitney. The normal loop we do when we do our runs together.

3 comments:

KBam said...

I struggle with doing short races in the midst of training for a longer race. How do you incorporate them into your training?

majorcane said...

This is a new problem for me as I've never raced this much before. What I have done recently is try to get my "weekend" mileage in (plus a few extra miles) over the race weekend.

Say if I have a 5k on Sunday and my long run that Saturday is supposed to be 10, what I have done is go say 6 easy miles on Saturday, then a 1.5-2 mile warmup on sunday before the race, do the race, then a 1.5-2 mile cool down. I get my mileage total for the weekend and some of it at a picked up pace.

Not sure this is the correct thing to do or not - but it seems to work though. My biggest issue is resting on Monday (instead of my normal Sunday rest).

KBam said...

That makes sense. I typically do my long runs Saturday and rest Sunday as well, but I have had to do a long run on a Sunday here or there (mostly due to Friday nights spent drinking too much)... It's not necessarily the change of rest day that I'm worried about. I haven't tried splitting up a long run into "weekend mileage" as opposed to one long run. Depending on the length of the scheduled run, the idea seems plausible. I don't think I'd feel okay doing that for an 18- or 20-miler, since the point of those is to get used to being on your feet for so long, but for the 10-15 range it may be a good solution... I think I'll try it out this summer. My marathon training starts in late July, so I'll probably test your theory in August sometime...