Saturday, August 14, 2010

Long run - PITTSBURGH!

Today was the day I had been looking forward to since we planned our little road trip from FL to Pittsburgh (and beyond). I planned out a run with the help of a co-worker, MapMyRun and Google Maps (street view). My main sightseeing goal, being a lifelong Pirates and Steelers fan, was to run by PNC Park and Heinz Field.

My parents dropped my off at the University of Pittsburgh campus for me to start my run - figuring it was a good ending point we could all navigate our way back to. I wrote the route on a note card and shoved it in my pocket. First four miles seemed to just fly by - as I ran through the Strip District and then to the bike path - I could see downtown which looked awesome. I worked my way (since there was a bike path detour) over to 6th Street and then over the Roberto Clemente Bridge.

This is what I had been looking forward to - as I came over the bridge I could look right into PNC Park where my beloved (yet not good) Pirates play. I followed the path along the river to Heinz where my beloved (and good) Steelers call home. I looped around Heinz back to PNC and back over the bridge. From there I hopped on the Smithfield St Bridge to the other side of the river and along the bike path there. I ran the path until the Hot Metal bridge where I then started my way back towards downtown. The bike path is very cool there - it runs down the middle of a highway.
Then came "THE STAIRS" - I figured I'd have to walk them as they were very steep and seemed to just keep on going. If you look at my splits (elevation chart and my HR) you can see where this happened on my run. Once I finally made it up the stairs I found it hard for my legs to get going again - but eventually found a (slower) groove. The fifteenth mile was about 3/4 mile away from the pick up spot - so once 15 hit I stopped the Garmin - walked a few feet - then jogged back to the pick up spot (no data on the Garmin for that 1/2 mile cool down).

So happy with this run - glad it lined up with a regular medium-long run day and not a Marathon Pace run. This allowed me to relax and look around and enjoy running through Pittsburgh -a city I have never called home but one I love just the same. Week 4 of Philly training - DONE!

Total distance: 15 miles
Total time: 2:16:06
Avg pace: 9:04
Avg HR: 154
Max HR: 170
Splits
8:43 / 145
9:12 / 146
8:32 / 140
8:29 / 151
8:34 / 155
9:01 / 153
8:49 / 155
9:05 / 152
8:38 / 155
8:40 / 157
8:51 / 158
9:07 / 158
8:54 / 160
11:31 / 161 (big stairs)
9:52 / 164

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44483716

1 comment:

3:59:59. Bitches. said...

Sounds like an awesome run! So satisfying to log quality miles, and having exciting things to look at really makes them fly by.