Friday, August 6, 2010

Moss Park Forest Run - 10k+5k aka Distance Dare

Marathon training today called for eight miles with four at half marathon pace. Since running in the heat and humidity of Florida is challenging, I figured if I raced this workout I'd be more likely to complete it. In doing some searching, I found the Moss Park Forest Run which was about 25 minutes from my parents place. For this race, you could choose between a 10k or a 5k - or you could do both as part of their Distance Dare. Since I needed the mileage - I did both.

My dad and I headed over around 5pm for the 7pm start. When we got to Moss Park - the clouds darkened and some thunder could be heard. The cloud cover was welcome as it was very hot - after picking up my race bib and transponder I did a quick (and sweaty) warm up. I overheard someone talking to another runner and he said that this course was a slow course and not to expect fast times and not to try to get your road times.

After listening to the 10k pre-race meeting (mostly about the course and weather updates) we were off. My goal for this was to finish the 10k in about 48 minutes or a 7:43 pace. The course was mostly packed trail/sand and very little road (through the parking lots) and was a two looper. First mile clocked in (by my Garmin) at 7:02 -- oooopsie. I dropped the pace a little to make sure I had enough in the tank to finish the 10k (and the upcoming 5k). I passed a few people and was only passed by one (the eventual overall women's winner). Finished the first loop of the course in twenty two minutes and change. Second loop was much harder as the sun came out in full force - I was able to hold a good pace and finish relatively strong. Once I finished, I had about 25 minutes to recover, rehydrate before the start of the 5k.

After some water (and a shirt change) - I headed over to the 5k pre-race meeting. By now it was after 8pm and getting dark. The knowledge of the course from the 10k definitely helped out. I felt as I just finished catching my breath and feeling relatively recovered- and they blew the horn to start. Not much to write about here - as a) same course as the 10k b) I was alone for all of it after the start and c)it was pitch very dark. A couple times I felt my foot in a pothole or on even ground and the ankle start to turn. Thank goodness no major ankle turn. I was able to finish mostly strong - and in one piece.

My dad and I hung around for the award ceremony - and I'm glad I did as I got 1st in my age group for both the 10k and 5k.

From a marathon training perspective - success!
From a race perspective - I've run better (and certainly faster) races before - but factoring in the heat/humidity and the terrain, I'll take it.

After returning to my parents place - I ate some food - and the hopped in the pool to assist in the cool down. I couldn't stay in very long as I was meeting people at 5am to run my long run with. Not sure how far Ill be going for the long run - but I plan on taking it very easy and listening very close to what my body tells me.

Pictures my dad took can be found here.

No comments: