Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ten miler in Beckley, WV

After having spent my entire rest day in a car yesterday (driving from Orlando to Pittsburgh) I was kind of excited for running today - albeit in Beckley, West Viriginia where I have no idea where to run. I did some Google searches before we left hoping for a bike path of some sorts - and was able to find the Lewis McManus Memorial Honor Trail. Our hotel was about 2.5 miles from the path which seemed perfect.

Since we wanted to be back on the road around 9am for the final push into Pittsburgh, I would have to get up early to do the run. Alarm went off (my son after having an accident) at 5:30 this morning in the hotel. I ate 1/2 a PB sandwich (mmmmm) and had a Diet Coke for a little pick me up. Training plan called for a 10 mile general aerobic ("General Aerobic" - sorry Im anticipating a good How I Met Your Mother season) run.

I mapped out my run ahead of time - and wrote down the directions and a quick and dirty map on a notecard and shoved it in my pocket - just in case I got myself real lost. I also put my phone in my water bottle holder. Nothing too crazy or exciting to report on this run - just that it was hilly, narrow, sidewalks would disappear and reappear, a very nice bike path and the people on it at 7am were very friendly. Only got slight lost/misdirected once - not too bad. Two things to make note of if you run in Beckley - 1) its hilly and at 2400 feet 2) if you come across someone on the bike path it seems customary to just nod your head as a form of saying good morning - there is no real need to actually say it (which actually works great when running). Off to Pittsburgh we go........

Total distance: 10.10 miles
Total time: 1:30:35
Average pace: 8:58
Avg HR: 158 bpm
Max HR: 171 bpm

Splits
9:02 / 150
8:48 / 158
9:04 / 151
8:53 / 153
8:37 / 161
8:44 / 157
8:53 / 158
8:53 / 162
9:35 / 164
9:07 / 161
0:53 / 160 (for .1 miles @ 8:40 pace)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/44252407

No comments: