Friday, July 25, 2008

The Blessing of the Fleet - 10 Miler - Narragansett RI

Lets see...This was my first non chip race. (granted it was only my 4th race ever....). For a small race there appeared to be alot of people - but i guess it was a small space. There was no pre-race countdown - just the opening gun fire to start. It took us all by surprise. Took us about 30 seconds to cross the start line. The first mile took 9:04 to run. It was way too fast. I heard Drew yell up to me that we were going to fast. So I slowed down....or did I. Passed the second mile marker - 9:05 pace. Again - too fast..so I slowed down...or did I. Third mile - 9:05 pace. (see a pattern forming here?) Each mile was exactly the same - 9:04 to 9:06 pace - too fast - my saying to slow down - me not slowing down.

They gave us our race T-shirts when we picked up our numbers - but we parked pretty far from the start so I carried my shirt while I ran. I used it as a sweat rag for the first two miles - then decided it was really annoying to carry. I ended up tossing it off to some kid that was watching the race. Man, I hope he washes it before he wears it.

Even though I did well and was really happy with my results - it was definitely too close to running the Boilermaker to run this.

1 comment:

Janette said...

I ran this race too. I actually had the exact opposite issue at the start. There wer no pace markers and I couldn't see the start line so I wasn't sure where to line up. I thought the start was under the banner until just before the gun and some guy behind me said we were really far behind. I had to slow my pace considerably through the first mile.

I had the same t-shirt issue as well, except I had to ditch mine before the race.