Sunday, February 7, 2010

Honest Tea Run for Refugees 5k Race Report

The plan for this race was to be a tune up fun race that I would push but nothing crazy - finish then go home and relax, have a drink and watch the Super Bowl. After going eight miles yesterday at a fairly quick pace, and the race being the 9th day in a row I have run - I felt taking it easy would be the best idea.

The race started at Wilbur Cross HS, which is literally a tenth of a mile at most from my place. I headed over at 8:30 picked up my bib, timing chip and t-shirt and went home to stay warm and use my own facilities. I went back shortly after and met up with some other Milford Road Runners. We all did a nice easy warm up together...I ended my warm up with three gentle pickups to wake up (and warm up) the muscles a bit.

Got to the start line with plenty of time to stay loose and warm and to try and stretch out my left calf which has been causing me some troubles. I lined up close to the front this time to not have a repeat of the Chilly Chili 5k start. Gun went off and so did we....

First half of the course goes up a decent hill. I was hoping to stay around 8-8:15s for the up portion. I passed quite a few people on the hill and was able to get a 7:10 first mile. Right before the turn around - the lead runners came FLYING down the hill. Hit the turn around and started to push the pace a bit - got passed by one runner here. When I hit the second mile at a 7:12 split I quick did some math and realized a PR was in play (if i didn't waste too much energy to go up the hill). At this point I figure if I could PR I should go for it. I picked up the pace again - at one point I looked down and my Garmin said I was doing a 5:55 pace). Julia (from Milford Road Runners - who I met after the race) was near by and pushing me along and for the last 1/2 mile or so. I really had no "kick" for the end as I was running at all out as I could at that point. I looked up at the clock as I crossed and realized I had PRd with a 21:10 (previous PR 21:59) - I was so happy I forgot to stop my watch for a good couple minutes after I finished. Oh well - (if my math is correct my splits are 7:12, 7:10 and 6:11 for the last 1.1 mile) I have to thank Julia a ton for pushing me along the last little bit (she did have a kick at the end and blew past me with no troubles).

Milford Road Runners had a great showing in the results and quite a few hardware was given out. Congrats to all runners today!

No comments: