Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ladder Step Down Speed Work - Ragnar Relay - USATF Grand Prix

I planned today's speed work to be a ladder step down. Basically I started with a one mile warmup then did the following:

7 minutes at marathon pace with a 3:30 recovery
6 minutes at 30k pace with a 3:00 recovery
5 minutes at 1/2 marathon pace with a 2:30 recovery
4 minutes at 15 k pace with a 2:00 recovery
3 minutes at 10k pace with a 1:30 recovery
2 minutes at 4 mile pace with a 1:00 recovery
1 minutes at 5k pace with a :30 recovery

I never know when using McMillan if I should enter current pacing for things or goal pacing. I went with goal pacing which worked out to be the following:

Marathon Pace: 8:01
30k pace: 7:50
1/2 Marathon Pace: 7:36
15k Pace: 7:26
10k Pace: 7:11
4 mile pace: 7:03
5k pace: 6:56

Running this on a busy road was tough as with most of my runs I had cars and intersections to navigate - and I've come to realize most cars dont care that I'm trying to maintain a 7:36 pace (not that I expect them to). The 7 minute interval was ok...had some troubles settling into a pace. Same with the 6 minute interval. I found as the interval pace picked up I felt more comfortable holding that pace. The last minute interval I did all out (since I did most of the 2 minute interval just under 7:00 pace). This was a tougher run than I anticipated it being - and I found out that Im not good at settling in on a pace and hold.


http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23791930


Also today I decided to join my running club and run in the Ragnar Relay from New Haven to Boston. I did a relay last fall in Vermont and had a great time - Im hoping for the same. I figure its twice as long - so twice as fun? Also, I signed up on USATF.org and plan on racing the Connecticut USATF race series this year.

No comments: