Friday, January 22, 2010

Speed workout Friday - 6x400 + 4/200

In order to reach my 5k goal pace I feel I need to do more speed workouts, so today did just that. With not knowing where a track is here yet I decided to just take the workout to the streets. Todays workout - 6x400m with 400m recoveries, then 4x200m with 100m recoveries. The website I found this at said I should do two sets of that - but given my time constraints to do this workout and having done quite a bit of speed work this week - I decided one was plenty. Maybe I'll try for two next week.

Warmed up for a mile - and then went north on Whitney to start my 400s. The 400s were supposed to be at 5k pace minus 15 seconds - which means just around 7 minute miles. The first 400 was a little on the slower side, but I made up for that on the next four. The last one was tough but I managed to get right around 7. The four 400s were supposed to be "at full but controlled pace" - which turned into around 6:30-6:35 for me. I filled in some "junk" mileage at the end to get to 5 miles (and to get the heart rate back to normal slowly).

All in all - a fun and great speed workout - even if I ran most of it into a head wind - and had to dodge a handful of cars. Please people when driving and you are going to turn right at an intersection - remember to look to the right before you pull out. There could be a pedestrian/runner.

No comments: