Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tempo interval/mile repeats

Today I hoped to do tempo intervals (thanks to some inspiration from reading a post on MilePosts)...which ended up being 2x1 mile repeats. The weather was great today around lunch time and was perfect for doing some speed work. From the McMillan calculator I was trying to get between 7:11 to 7:26 per mile.

I did a nice one mile warm up, and then I was off. I timed it pretty good that my mile would start as soon as I got to St Ronan Street. During the first mile I felt the paced was pushed but not unmanageable. I just tried to focus on keeping a good form and a quick foot turnover. The Garmin went beep - 6:53 mile! I then did a recovery mile up Armory and around Prospect (a bit hilly) back to St Ronan for the second repeat. Again, the pace was pushed, but not unmanageable. I was able to say some choice words at myself out-loud to keep going - Garmin beeped again - 6:57 this time. Had a nice cool down (which I slowly picked over the mile to get to a nice pace again).

Total Mileage: 5 miles
Total Time: 42:36
Average Pace: 8:31

Splits:
9:33
6:53
10:30
6:57
8:42

No comments: